The National Patient and Procedure Volume Tracker™
2021 Full Year In Review Report
At the end of 2021, volumes are down for inpatient and outpatient and emergency visits are up. This trend reflects the holidays and the beginning of Omicron. Volumes in 2021 were different and may indicate a new normal for patient demand. At a national level, inpatient and emergency volumes have yet to rebound to 2019 pre-COVID-19 levels.
Download the complete report for more data and insight.
About the National Patient and Procedure Volume Tracker
We will release an updated version of the National Patient and Procedure Volume Tracker on the second Monday of each month. In the report, you can expect to find:
- Now tracking shifts in payor mix beyond Self Pay
- Added Children’s Hospitals to the data set
- Now reporting on COVID-19 hospitalizations – with one of the largest databases for COVID-19 inpatients
- Added ED and Observation to Inpatient Conversion rates which gauge how hospitals are utilizing those departments
- Service line data now split between Inpatient and Outpatient data
- Moving to using a six month rolling average to compare recent shifts in volume changes
- Using the UB Revenue Code in the encounter’s charge line item detail to identify encounter as an Inpatient (IP), Emergency (ED), Observation (Obs) or Outpatient (OP) encounter
- More uniform tracking of encounters across hospitals and better tracking of how many emergency room and observation patients convert to inpatients — something we were not able to track previously
For a full review of the National Patient and Procedure Volume Tracker in 2021, download the The National Patient and Procedure Volume Tracker™ 2021 Review.
|1/24/2022||2021 Full Year In Review Report (Jan 2022)||Download|
|12/15/2021||Monthly Report – December 2021||Download|
|11/9/2021||Monthly Report – November 2021||Download|
|10/11/2021||Monthly Report – October 2021||Download|
|9/13/2021||Monthly Report – September 2021 (Updated 9/14)||Download|
|8/9/2021||Monthly Report – August 2021||Download|
|7/12/2021||Monthly Report – July 2021||Download|
|6/14/2021||Monthly Report – June 2021||Download|
|5/13/2021||Monthly Report – May 2021||Download|
|4/12/2021||Monthly Report – April 2021||Download|
|3/8/2021||Monthly Report – March 2021||Download|
|2/8/2021||Monthly Report – February 2021||Download|
|1/25/2021||Monthly Report – January 2021||Download|
StrataSphere currently includes over 100 participating health systems, representing more than $150 billion in operating expense. Whereas existing comparative analytics and benchmarking solutions rely primarily on public datasets, StrataSphere provides accurate, actionable and timely comparisons of key metrics. StrataSphere utilizes machine learning to leverage trillions of data points from this network of providers already using StrataJazz for financial planning, analytics and performance. For this reason, participation in StrataSphere requires no additional data submission or work effort.